Total number of public charities: 956,760 (a further 112,959 foundations are registered with the IRS).
Total voluntary income: $307.65 billion.
Research about the effect of the recession on fundraising shows that gifts from individuals decreased by 6.3% from 2007 to 2008. Corporate donations declined by 8% over the same period. The negative effect appears to have impacted upon approximately half of charities, although 22% have seen an increase in their fundraised income.
- Association of Fundraising Professionals
- Better Business Bureau
- Center on Philanthropy at Indiana University
- The Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Independent Sector
- National Council of Nonprofits
- National Center for Charitable Statistics