Number of registered charities: 18,000
Total income to charities: €4.3 billion
Largest subsectors, by cause:
• churches and religion (€968 million)
• social and community (€617 million)
• sport and recreation (€569 million)
• international development (€520 million)
• healthcare (€463 million)
• environment (€360 million)
• culture (€352 million)
• education and research (€231 million)
44.6% of the population volunteers at least once a week.
The average Dutch household donated €270 to charity in 2007, with total household donations at €1,945 million.
The most popular causes are :
• international aid
The most common methods of giving are:
• direct mail
In 2008, charities received less support from industries and legacies, largely as a result of the economic downturn. It is expected that demand for services will continue to increase, with a parallel decrease in income. Decreases in income are expected to continue over the next 3 years.
(Giving in the Netherlands 2007)